In case you landed here and are wondering what this blog is about - I have decided to create a plan and document my progress towards the objective of attaining a scratch handicap. Hopefully by sharing my progress I will remain disciplined and who knows maybe inspire someone else to achieve their own goals.


Sunday, November 4, 2012

Mission Accomplished?

Long time, no post and shame on me for that.
It has been an eventful few months on the golf front.  On August 1, 2012 my handicap hit +0.2.  Two weeks later it peaked at +0.5.  I guess I can claim that I arrived at Destination Scratch :)   It felt somewhat anti-climatic in all honesty.  I thought if I ever got to scratch, that I would be absolutely striping it.  Not the case - I will say however that my game became very very consistent.  My good shots weren't all that wonderful or even regular but my bad shots were never really bad.
At no point would I say that I have been entirely happy with my putting which makes me think that there is still much room for improvement.
If I was to summarize/grade my game  at the time that I got to scratch, I would give myself:

Driving - A 
I don't hit it a long way compared to some of the guys I play with but I hit tonnes of fairways and never seem to lose a ball off a tee shot.

Fairway Woods - B
Decent with my 3 wood and 5 wood, however I will be upgrading next year to the Rocketballz line.  I demoed some this year and they were ridiculously long!

Iron Play - C
Not happy with my mid to long irons.  My alignment is not good I have discovered and I don't seem to compress it sufficiently as a result.  This will be my major improvement area for next year.

Wedge Play - B
Much improved.  A lot of it, I believe comes from focusing more on the process than the result.  I just try to make good pass at it, brushing the grass and it almost always seems to be decent or better.

Chipping and Pitching - B
Much, much improved.  I believe this has come about due to lots and lots of practice and a better understanding of how the wedge works (bounce, shaft lean etc)

Bunker Play - B
Same as above

Putting - C
I'm averaging 33/34 putts.  Quite simply not good enough.   Lots of work to do next year.


Not sure how much more I have to post on here.  
I think I need to set another goal for myself and proceed with the same focus.

At some point in time I will recap what I believe allowed me to get from 5.2 when this project started to +0.5 in August this year.

Above all else, I have learned that setting a goal and publicizing it is a great way to keep yourself honest in the pursuit of any dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment