In case you landed here and are wondering what this blog is about - I have decided to create a plan and document my progress towards the objective of attaining a scratch handicap. Hopefully by sharing my progress I will remain disciplined and who knows maybe inspire someone else to achieve their own goals.


Thursday, August 5, 2010

Back to HOTLANTA

Just got back from Ireland and it's absolutely steaming.  I don't think there will be a lot of golf played in August.  First of all, its just too hot.  Then there is a matter of the condition of greens seemingly everywhere.  Anywhere with bentgrass greens is really struggling with this heat.   Played 4 times in Ireland.

Shot 74, 82, 77, 85 at Mountbellew/Enniscrone/Tuam/Mountbellew.  That 85 resulted in Roch (college buddy) beating me 5&4 which is never fun :)     Must say Enniscrone is fantastic and what a great job they did in extending Mountbellew to 18 holes  (the new 9 are a huge improvement).

Anyhow, the state of my game is just not good now.   I have become a poor driver of the ball.   I am a terrible bunker player and my putting is putrid.   I'm not worried about the putting - I simply have neglected it.   Driving however is a different matter.  For me it is the most important part of the game. I need to get back to being a good driver of the ball - in fact I plan on working as hard as I can to become a very good driver over the next few months.
In addition, I want to start a little side project to finally master bunker play.   This will probably involve research, lessons, practice etc and I intend to document what I come up with.  
I have come to an acceptance that I am never going to be a long hitter.  Therefore, to compete I am going to have to become a very straight driver and develop a nifty short game.   That is going to be my focus over the next  while.   Club Championship is at the beginning of October so  that will be my next milestone.

No comments:

Post a Comment