In case you landed here and are wondering what this blog is about - I have decided to create a plan and document my progress towards the objective of attaining a scratch handicap. Hopefully by sharing my progress I will remain disciplined and who knows maybe inspire someone else to achieve their own goals.


Sunday, July 18, 2010

Status Update

About to head off to Ireland for a couple of weeks so I think its probably a good time to take stock of where things are with my game.
Handicap is 2.3 but strangely I don't feel like I'm playing great golf.

There are two areas of my game I am not comfortable with -  driving and sand play.
I used to be (in my mind) a very good driver of the ball - not long but hit lots of fairways.   Now, I have gained 25/30 yards with the driver.   However, I do not feel comfortable over the ball with driver in hand these days.  Also I am generally losing one or two drives to the right with a high block or slice.   When I get back from Ireland I plan to resume aggressively working on becoming a very good driver again.  Will be working on this with Tim.
I am not a good bunker player still.   That has to change!   I think part of the problem lies in the fact that I don't fully know what is going on in a bunker shot, technically speaking.    I am going to have to resolve this however I think it will be an over the winter project.

On a more positive note, I am killing my 3 wood and 5 wood now.   I have a good chance of reaching all mid to short par 5s.

I am not chipping and putting the best at the moment, however I put this down to the emphasis I have placed on trying to resolve my driver issues.   I'm comfortable with my putting, chipping and pitching technique.  I just need to get back to practicing the short game a little more.

Also, I have decided that I am going to make another trip to the Kingdom.   This time I am going to get fit for a set of irons.

Finally, I need to get back in shape.  This is one of my objectives that I have failed in since the start of this project.  (With two weeks in Ireland coming up, I'm resigned to the fact that its going to get even worse before it gets better.  But come on, I can't forgo the Irish breakfasts and occasional cream cake while I'm back on the auld sod)

Very enthused about pressing on with improving the game when I get back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment