In case you landed here and are wondering what this blog is about - I have decided to create a plan and document my progress towards the objective of attaining a scratch handicap. Hopefully by sharing my progress I will remain disciplined and who knows maybe inspire someone else to achieve their own goals.


Sunday, July 4, 2010

No more left side

When I first started my lessons with Tim, my ball flight was what you might describe as a controlled hook at best.  That was my good shot and my miss was either a big block to the right or a quick snap hook.
Tim told me that over the course of his instruction, I would eventually take the left side of the course out of the equation.   True to his word, I cannot (even if I try) hook the ball anymore.   I now know that my miss will be right.   My bad misses are a high block to the right (more about that in a minute).
The main variables we incorporated to get rid of the hook would be the grip and no longer pulling the club inside on the backswing.   I generally don't like Golf Digest tips but I just saw this one which I thought was pretty good.  It pretty much describes how Tim wants me to grip the club.
As for not taking the club inside, the key thoughts are allowing the right elbow to fold and keeping the club in front of my chest on the backswing.

My miss to the right - that high block has become a bit of a problem over the last few weeks with the driver so I went to see Tim on Friday.   My grip had gotten a little sloppy for a start.   However most problematic is an old problem for me that has resurfaced.   In the swing we work on, the first move of the downswing involves letting the club fall (could also think of this as unfolding the right elbow).    I have a tendency to drop the right shoulder as well as let the club fall.  This gets me stuck so that I can't help but hit that high block to the right.
Anyhow, to cut to the chase - I'm working on improving the grip, and keeping that right shoulder from dropping as I make a full turn to the left.  It seems to be working.  Fingers crossed as I personally believe the driver is THE most important club in the bag.

Handicap has hit 2.5 now.   I still feel a long, long way from scratch though.

No comments:

Post a Comment