In case you landed here and are wondering what this blog is about - I have decided to create a plan and document my progress towards the objective of attaining a scratch handicap. Hopefully by sharing my progress I will remain disciplined and who knows maybe inspire someone else to achieve their own goals.


Monday, June 28, 2010

Back to the grind

After the debacle that was last weeks qualifier, I went 5 days without picking up a club.
Spent some time reflecting on why I didn't qualify.  77 was the number, something that should be well within my grasp on an average ball striking day.   Unfortunately, chipping was my downfall.  It is no longer a technique issue.  It's more of a nerves thing I guess.  In tournaments where I really want to qualify/do well, I tend to be very tentative and this manifests itself mostly around the greens.  As I don't fully trust my chipping and pitching technique yet I tend to be cautious leading to deceleration - at least that's my theory.
Not sure how to get past the nerves/tension issue.   Maybe it's something that comes over time?  I suppose I could just take a couple of shots of brandy before each round.

On a more positive note, I shot 77/76 over the weekend.  The 76 was in the club matchplay.  Won 2 up.  Was pretty happy after being 3 down on the 7th tee.

No comments:

Post a Comment