In case you landed here and are wondering what this blog is about - I have decided to create a plan and document my progress towards the objective of attaining a scratch handicap. Hopefully by sharing my progress I will remain disciplined and who knows maybe inspire someone else to achieve their own goals.


Wednesday, June 9, 2010

More club fitting - 3 Wood

A couple of years back, I found a 5 wood (TaylorMade V Steel) that I really liked.  It had a Penley shaft (stiff flex).   It's probably my favorite club in the bag.  So shortly thereafter I purchased a similar 3 Wood with the same type of shaft.

However, despite the supposed similarities in the clubs, I simply could not hit the 3 wood.
The 3 Wood is a very important club especially now that I am hitting the driver much further.    I frequently encounter par 4's where you have to lay up to 240ish or par 5's where I need to hit it 240 to get on in 2.   (I hit my 5 wood about 225 to 230).
So, a couple of weeks back, I asked TW to help me figure out why I couldn't hit the 3W like the 5W.   He took a look at the 2 clubs and instantly figured that despite the similar specs - the shafts had completely different frequencies.   He recommended a club fitter in Alpharetta who would replicate the shaft frequency and swing weight of the 5W in the 3W.   It cost me only $40 (far cheaper than a new set of fairway woods and a fitting).
I have been hitting balls with it for a week now and the difference is phenomenal.   It feels just like the 5W and the results are similar too (with an extra 20 yards or so).
The moral of the story?  Well I feel there are a few.
  • No two shafts are the same even if they are from the same manufacturer with the same spec.   Get a clubmaker to check the frequency if you are in doubt and adjust as needed.
  • If there is a particular club you can't hit, yet you hit others well - it may not be your swing.  That club may not be a good fit for you 

No comments:

Post a Comment