In case you landed here and are wondering what this blog is about - I have decided to create a plan and document my progress towards the objective of attaining a scratch handicap. Hopefully by sharing my progress I will remain disciplined and who knows maybe inspire someone else to achieve their own goals.


Monday, June 21, 2010

Desperately Seeking Short Game

Thoroughly depressed after today!
Had a GA state am qualifier at Atlanta National.  Shot 83! 
I have no idea what qualified as I didn't stick around.  (Will post a link to the full results later in the week).   As I finished, 24 others had completed and 8 were better than 83 so therefore I figured I had no chance (only 24 out of 94 to qualify).   Some poor dude managed a nifty 102!!

Tee to green, I didn't hit anything too bad.   Found one nasty bunker which cost me a double.  Made another double when what I thought was a good layup on a par 5, found a nasty downhill lie.   What's getting me down is that I hit the edge of 6/7 greens and could only get my chips to about 7 or 8 feet and missed all the par putts. 
I just heard Graeme McDowell say on the Golf Channel that he realized a couple of years back at Birkdale that if he was ever to win a major, he would need to get a great short game.   Obviously, if I am ever going to get near scratch, mine is going to have to improve drastically.
For now, I feel thoroughly deflated!   Will take a few days away from golf and see what I can take from it later in the week :(
 

No comments:

Post a Comment