In case you landed here and are wondering what this blog is about - I have decided to create a plan and document my progress towards the objective of attaining a scratch handicap. Hopefully by sharing my progress I will remain disciplined and who knows maybe inspire someone else to achieve their own goals.


Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Forward Steps

Its been a good week!
Friday, I managed to win the 2 man best ball at the club with a buddy.  We shot net 64 (gross 68).  I shot 73 on my own ball.
Then yesterday, I had my first qualifier of the year - the Georgia State Mid-Am at Orchard Hills.  I guess it is a measure of my progress that I walked off the course unhappy with how I had played, yet shot 76 and qualified comfortably.  78 was the number.  A windy day,  the course was rock hard and yet the greens were slow and bumpy.  Given that our greens at the club are running about 12/13 on the stimp (that's lightning fast for the non golf literate), putting was a real challenge.  I felt the need to 'hit' everything and I don't think that's ever a good idea in this game.  I had only a single three putt but I had a number of looks at birdie but couldn't hole out.
What really saved me was that I didn't hit it into trouble all day and when I missed greens I got up and down really well.   I had zero birdies, 14 pars and 4 bogeys.  
The actual championship will take place at Berkeley Hills on May 18-20.  There will be a 36 hole cut before the Sunday round.   This gives me a really good focal point for the next month.  I don't plan on going out there just to make up the numbers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment