In case you landed here and are wondering what this blog is about - I have decided to create a plan and document my progress towards the objective of attaining a scratch handicap. Hopefully by sharing my progress I will remain disciplined and who knows maybe inspire someone else to achieve their own goals.


Sunday, April 22, 2012

Closing the deal

Regardless of how you drive it, hit your irons, pitch and chip, if you don't putt well you are not going to score well!!  Apologies for stating the obvious.  As my game tee to green becomes more solid, I am realizing that me getting to scratch is going to come down to the putter.  A +2 handicap at the club told me yesterday that he averages twenty eight putts.  I'm a 2.8 handicap and I figure I average thirty four putts.  I can't afford to give up six shots a round to a scratch golfer and so I believe this needs to be my primary focus for the next while.
  To give me some focus, I am going to focus on how I putt from six feet and from ten feet.  The average PGA Tour pro last year averaged 70% from six feet and 40% from ten feet.  I did some testing on the practice green yesterday.  (I hit twenty random six footers and twenty random ten footers to get a sample - admittedly not a large sample)   I was 40% from six feet and 20% from ten feet. 
  I intend to take a putting lesson this week and practice rigourously from these two distances for the next month.  I will report back on the lesson and my progress.   If I can get to 60% from six feet and 35% from ten, I will consider it a success.  Try it!  Let me know what your figures are from these distances and report back in a month on your progress. Do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment