In case you landed here and are wondering what this blog is about - I have decided to create a plan and document my progress towards the objective of attaining a scratch handicap. Hopefully by sharing my progress I will remain disciplined and who knows maybe inspire someone else to achieve their own goals.


Friday, March 26, 2010

One Step Up.......

Hit the range a couple of times this week focusing on the two things I took from last weekends lesson - getting more width in the backswing and unhinging the elbow as the first move of the downswing.
For the most part I seemed to be hitting it pretty good so I was looking forward to playing in the Tradition today. Started well - level par after 5 on Creekside (which was playing notoriously difficult). Fell to pieces after that. It all started when I hit a pitch fat on number 5 (after two great shots to get to the edge in 2). I totally lost confidence from there on - every time I was faced with a pitch I was somewhat terrorized - the club felt like a hose or a snake or something to that effect. This is not that much of a surprise - pitching is not something I have addressed with Tim and I have never been comfortable with anything less than a full shot.
In any case, I ended up shooting 89 - our best ball was 78. Thats my worst score in quite some time - years. Putting was a real issue but the greens were so fast on Creekside that I won't focus too much on that.
Got to start working on pitching with Tim as soon as I can get a lesson scheduled.
As for ballstriking - well, there were some positives - hit a few great drives. I would say I'm just not comfortable with the changes I am making yet when out on the course.
Has a feeling right now that its always (to quote Springsteen) 'one step up and two steps back'.

2 comments:

  1. very interesting stuff alan, keep up the good work, roch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan - great inspirational stuff.

    ReplyDelete