In case you landed here and are wondering what this blog is about - I have decided to create a plan and document my progress towards the objective of attaining a scratch handicap. Hopefully by sharing my progress I will remain disciplined and who knows maybe inspire someone else to achieve their own goals.


Friday, April 16, 2010

Driver Fitting - Part I

Over the last couple of weeks, I painfully experienced being outdriven by numerous playing partners of all ages and builds. I'm convinced there is no way I can get to scratch driving it 240/250 yards. I think I'm fairly athletic and of at least medium body strength level for a thirty something male. So why am I hitting it so relatively short? Well, first of all, my current driver (R7 425) which I love the feel of has only a 43 inch shaft (no innuendo please!!). The standard is 45 these days. That accounts for a loss of club head speed. Then there is my launch angle and spin. I launch it way too high with too much spin. As a result, the ball pretty much comes to an immediate stop as soon as it hits the ground instead of getting 20/30 yards of roll.
Therefore I started the process yesterday of finding the right driver so that I can optimize my driving distance. The goal is to find a driver that I like the feel of that will give me a better launch angle and spin (hopefully about 14 degrees with about 2500 rpm).
One of the pros at the GC of Georgia came to the range with me to try a plethora of the current drivers with the goal of identifying which I like the feel of. From there we will start to optimize loft, shaft, lie angles etc.
Here is a list of the drivers I tried and what I thought of them:

  • TaylorMade R9 Super Tri - tried with two different shafts one stiff and one premium stiff (sorry can't remember the exact shaft spec but have it written down somewhere) Didn't like it so much with the first shaft but with the premium shaft (Motore i think) I started to like the feel. The ball seems to come off the clubface verly lively and not too loud of a ping.
  • TaylorMade r9 460 - Liked this one. Doesn't have as many configuration options but I liked the sound and feel and it seemed to launch a little lower and take off when it hit the ground.
  • TaylorMade Burner Superfast - Hit this one out of the stratosphere. Could not keep it down. Also, its quite a gimmicky head shape to me so this one is not a runner.
  • Ping i15 - Classy look but it seemed to come off the clubface very dead. Just didn't really like the feel to be honest.
  • Ping G15 - Opposite of the i15, this one came off with an enormous 'ping' (forgive the pun). The sound is just a little off putting for me.
  • Callaway FT Tour - I seemed to hit this one quite well. Again, came out lower with lots of run. However, for me the feel is awful. It felt like hitting a block of wood with a block of wood. Don't think I could get past that.
So out of that, we built a driver ( TM Super Tri 9.5 with a stiff shaft Motore) that I am going to try after work today for 9 holes. Will hit one with my old driver and one with the new on each hold for comparison. If that goes well, we will go to the TaylorMade lab and see what we can do about reducing the spin rate and whatever else the computer spits out.

No comments:

Post a Comment